Philip R. Miller, III
History of the Firm
Philip Miller is a founding partner with the firm Blanchard, Miller, Lewis & Isley, P.A., which opened its doors on April 3, 1995. From the beginning a primary goal of the firm was to represent victims of serious injuries and wrongful death caused by the negligence of others. Since 1995 the firm has grown and expanded its areas of practice and now offers a wide variety of services.
However, Philip continues to devote his practice to representing plaintiffs in personal injury and wrongful death cases, with an emphasis on cases involving nursing home abuse and neglect and motor vehicle negligence.
Philip is a Raleigh native and 1984 graduate of Needham B. Broughton High School. He received his B.A. degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1988 and his J.D. degree from Campbell University School of Law in 1992.
Philip has tried cases to verdict in North Carolina State and Federal Courts and has argued cases before the North Carolina Court of Appeals and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. Over the years Philip has handled dozens of complicated civil cases to successful completion.
Legal Honors and Awards
- AV rating from Martindale Hubbell
- Permanent member of the Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference, having been invited to join by United States District Court Judge W. Earl Britt in 2011.
- Elected to membership in the Eastern North Carolina American Board of Trial Advocates in 2015 and currently serves on its Board of Directors
Teaching Experience/Legal Publications
Philip is a frequent lecturer on numerous topics including legal ethics, automobile tort litigation, and nursing home negligence litigation. Philip has authored numerous articles, primarily in the field of nursing home negligence litigation, for Trialbriefs, the publication of the North Carolina Advocates for Justice. Click here for a partial list of the continuing education seminars in which Philip has participated and the legal publications he has authored.
Bar Leadership Roles
- Board of Governors, North Carolina Advocates for Justice, Several Terms
- Legislative Vice President, North Carolina Advocates for Justice, 2017-2019
- Communications Vice President, North Carolina Advocates for Justice, 2019 – present
- Founder, Nursing Home Litigation Section of the North Carolina Advocates for Justice
- All levels of leadership, including Chair, of the Nursing Home Litigation Section of the North Carolina Advocates for Justice
- Chair of the North Carolina Bar Association’s Litigation Section Council, which is one of the largest sections in the Bar Association and is made up of leading lawyers from both the Plaintiff’s Bar and the Defense Bar, 2010-2011
- Braxton Craven Inn of Court, President 2008.
- North Carolina Supreme Court Historical Society, President 2017-2018
- Trustee of the North Carolina Bar Association Health Benefit Trust.
Philip is married to a Raleigh native. Together they have four children. Philip enjoys running, tennis, hunting, and fishing. He also enjoys NASCAR and any sporting event involving the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Nursing home abuse and neglect, serious personal injury, automobile negligence litigation, tractor trailer litigation, premises liability, wrongful death, business and commercial litigation, state and federal appeals.